OK so by the title you might think that I'm going to say all kinds of nice things about my husband well not really. So Kevin often makes cakes for his employees and they think it is fabulous...it's just Betty Crocker out of a box and frosting out of the tub. Anyway, they think it great, which it is but they do not realize how easy it is. So a manager from another store asked Kevin if he would be interested in making a cake for his son's birthday, Kevin agreed to do it. He finds out the cake needs to feed about 100 people...what tha? Kevin told him that we made a Sponge Bob cake for Jacob so we could do one again just bigger. I was not too keen on the idea all I could think about was all the work I would be doing and how it would be a disaster! Kevin really wanted to do it and so I didn't want to be a not nice wife and I agreed to help. He also thought that if there were a hundred people at a birthday party and he did a really good job on the cake maybe other people would ask him to make a cake for them and we could make a little money. (Side note...Kevin had written an email to the guy telling him that he wouldn't be able to do it because it was just too big of a cake. While he was writing the email I called and told him I really didn't think that it was a good idea. Smooth move on my part Kevin erased the email and didn't tell him no just to prove to me that he could do it. I never doubted that he could do it...I could just envision in my mind the time and mess it that was going to be involved.) So Kevin tells him it will only be $30 which will cover the cost of everything to make the cake. I explain to Kevin that he is going to need to put the cake on something because it is going to be so big. He brings home a piece of cardboard from work....I then had to inform him a cake that feeds 100 people is going to be way too heavy for a piece of cardboard. He went to Home Depot and bought a 4 ft by 2ft piece of wood and covered it with foil. He decided that he would make the cakes on Thursday and then frost them Friday afternoon and deliver the cake Friday night. Sounds easy, well here is how it really went: he goes to my mom's Thursday night to bake 5 cakes because she has 2 ovens and one is a convection oven. Well only the 2 chocolate cakes turned out because the setting wasn't right on the oven or something...I'm not quite sure. So he only brings home 2 cakes. As some of you know we had a pretty bad ant problem in our kitchen for a while but they seem to have pretty much moved on. Well Kevin was nervous that if he left the cakes out ants might get to them. He decided to take 2 large plastic cutting boards and put them in the oven and put the cakes on them so they are safe from any possible ants and if they are on the cutting boards they won't get the lines from the oven rack in them. He reminds me that they are in there and to not turn on the oven. So Friday he comes home from work and starts making the other cakes. He turns on the oven to pre heat it and begins mixing the cakes. A little while later he says it smells like plastic is burning. I was making dinner on the stove so I thought maybe something was burning. Well a few minutes later he opens the oven and this is what we see.
The cutting board on the left was clear and as you can see the other one was turquoise. Oh my gosh Kevin was so mad at himself. All I could think of to do was get the camera. Jacob kept saying great now you have to buy a new oven and you won't have enough money to buy me a Wii, too funny! Kevin had already filled the cake pan with batter so I took it to my neighbors and asked to bake it in her oven. Kev took the racks out back and let the oven cool down and got a garden tool from the garage and started scraping away. Why a garden tool I don't know I guess he thought it would work. The plastic actually came off with not too much effort.
Kevin unplugged the oven and unscrewed the heating coil to start cleaning that and was using a putty knife to try and scrape the plastic off and the knife slipped and sliced open his thumb pretty bad. The funny thing is just before that he said that the only thing that could make this cake making experience worse is if he ended up in the hospital. After he cut his finger we thought we would have to go and get it stitched up luckily he was OK. So after a little more clean up we pack up our stuff to make the cakes and head to my mom's house. At this point we decided three cakes would be enough so we only had two to make at my mom's. They turned out fine and we brought them home and placed the cakes on the board for the night. We woke around 7 am this morning to begin decorating. The guy wanted strawberry frosting the the middle of the cake so Sponge Bob's pants is a chocolate cake with strawberry in the middle and his body is just yellow cake. We went to Jacob's baseball game at 10 am and then came home to finish up the cake. Wow that is a long story, with all that said here is how the cake turned out.




10 comments:
How can I not laugh!! WAY TO GO on a job well done.. I probably would have quit after the oven incident. Ya think you will be making cakes for others? :-)
Too funny! I can just imagine how frustrated Kevin got, I would have loved to be there. The cake looks pretty great though. Way to persevere Kevin!
Very impressed on how the cake turned out. Not so much fun for the process to get there.
Overall though, I think he will have more caking making opportunities.
Lisa
Seriously the best laugh I've had all day! And my fav part of the story is "you won't have enough money to buy me a WII!"
Nice cake Kevin!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA!
TOO CUTE! Great job on the cake.
So what did they say about the cake?? Did they love it?? You forgot the part where he had to borrow my van to transport the cake!! Oh and I found out that someone ????? messed with my oven and I reset it and now it's working great!
That's hilarious! At least he cleaned up his own mess. The cake looked great but are you sure this is a good hobby for him? It's probably not very economical to replace your oven every 3 months!
That is the best story ever! Love it! The cake looks really really good!
I love the cake, great job! Talk about a perfect blogging story! Too funny :)
Post a Comment