OK I need help. We are getting a pet for Jacob's 9th birthday. Should we get a hamster or fish? All of you out there who read but don't comment help me out and leave a comment. I want to know your experiences with both. Thanks a bunch. We had decided on fish but after talking with some friends maybe we should get a hamster...I don't know.
12 comments:
I've become anti-pet in my old age... but if I had to choose, I'd say fish because hamsters stink and make noise. Lots of stink and noise...
No Hamster!!!! Don't you remember how when the hamster you had got out and ate the couch and a hole in the carpet!!!!! Also, don't you remember it's famous flying act!! Hamsters make you become nuts and you do things you normally wouldn't do!! (like throwing a hamster off the 2nd floor porch)
My vote is for fish, they're calming, fun to watch and they don't eat holes in your carpet or put holes in your couch!!
But, this is only my humble opinion!
Oh and remember Serene's hamsters. They ate my window sill and then they ate each others face off..
Like I said FISH, definitely FISH.
Love you
Mom/Grandma who has lived long enough to know a thing or two about pets
Plus hamsters are just plain mean and they will bite you, or eat your face off. Whichever is more convenient for them!!
Hamsters are very stinky! I prefer the fish, but he might prefer the hamster!
Yeah, I agree with mom. No hamsters. They're crazy and mine did all eat each other. Except for Porkchop. He was the nice one. They also smell and you'll forever hear the ongoing hamster wheel late at night going "eeee eee eee eeee." Still haunts me. I personally probably won't ever get fish but if I had to choose, I'd say fish.
My primary advice is to pick whichever one you would prefer to take care of yourself(because after about a week Jacob will not willingly participate). Now for my secondary advice born from practical experience:
1) A hamster can be induced to eat his best friend whereas no amount of coaxing can induce a goldfish to do the same.
2) Hamster cages begin to mold after only 14 days whereas goldfish tanks only smell after the algae hits the surface (which could easily take a month).
3) Fish are easily flushed, hamsters clog toilets (plus their bodies leave more goo behind).
4) When the goldfish gets out of the tank, it is a lot easier to find than the hamster.
5) After Jacob gets tired of taking care of them, an unused hamster cage takes up more space than a goldfish bowl
6) When jacob is ready to upgrade pets, unwanted hamsters make good starter kits for snakes
7) Hamsters on wheels make good object lessons when teaching about the guillotine
I hope I was able to shed some light on the matter.
I'm glad you posted this question. I've thought about getting a hamster for the kids but after reading this, that will never happen. Thanks!
Neither…get a pet rock. Less fuss, less muss.
I arrived via cjane, BTW.
Teachinfourth, I figured that you came from cjane :) Welcome. I will have to check out your blog as well.
Post a Comment