Thursday, March 12, 2009

Who was in my garage?

OK I think I have a new most embarrassing moment! I'll start from the beginning, sorry if it is kind of long the embarrassing part will come towards the end. Rewind to last night at about 9:30 pm. Kevin comes home from being out of town for two days on a business trip. After a while he sets the alarm and we go to bed. At 4:00 am Daisy (our dog) jumps up out of bed, barks, and runs to the garage door. Kevin then lets Daisy out back and he realizes that he did not lock the back door. He then goes to the garage and sees that he did not close the garage door last night and he also did not lock the door from the garage to the house. He lets Daisy in and then we decide to let her into the garage to sniff out anyone. Right inside the garage is a pile where we keep the garbage she starts sniffing that and we call her in real quick because if there is someone in there we don't really want to see them. So Kevin locks all the doors and sets the alarm. Back to bed we go. A few minutes later I hear what I convince myself is the heater kicking on...thinking that there is no way it could be the garage door. Finally after a while I go back to sleep. This morning as we were getting ready to leave Jacob opened the garage door to get his shoes and he says, "mom why is the garage door opened?" Sure enough Kevin goes to check it out and the garage is open. I ask him if he heard the garage door open last night and he said yes and I asked him if he convinced himself that it was the heater and he said yes. So we both heard it and we both convinced ourselves that it was the heater when all along it was the garage door. So when Kevin closed the door at 4 in the morning there was somebody in our garage and then they let themselves out!!! Last night I was so thankful that we had a house alarm, whoever was in our garage could have walked right in and we wouldn't have known because the door was unlocked. Before I left for work I had Kevin check the attic (the door to it is in the garage) just to make sure there was nobody in there. Fast forward now to school. I was telling some friends at work and they suggested that I call the police to report it just so that they have record of it and I could ask for extra patrolling. So I go into a friends office and we look up the Arlington PD number to call because I don't want to call 911 because it is not an emergency. The recording on that number says to call 911 for emergency and non emergency calls. Well little did I know that because I called from the school phone a call is automatically sent out to have the police come to the school. So I am on the phone with the lady from dispatch and in the office it flashes that someone from the extension that I am using is calling 911. The assistant principle comes in and I am so embarrassed. I finish up with the lady from 911, she basically tells me because nothing was stolen I can't report a burglary but I can call from my home number and request extra patrol during non emergency times. After I finish the call I go into the office where the AP is calling the school board offices and the police department to cancel the call to have the police come out. I apologize a million times over! She was so good about it and was very understanding. It's funny now but when it was happening I felt so bad. Needless to say I was so embarrassed.

I am really thankful that Daisy got up and barked when she heard whoever it was. Just yesterday I woke up to what I thought was pee on my carpet upon further inspection it was diarrhea. Yes that is right my dog covered a lot of my carpet it poo! I spent the first 20 minutes yesterday scrubbing the carpet. When I got home from school there was more. I went to my mom's house and borrowed her steam cleaner (thanks mom!). I was so mad at her yesterday for that but I think she redeemed herself last night. When I came home today the poo smell was gone and there was no more, yay!!!

8 comments:

laughingitupwiththepetersons@blogspot.com said...

Erin, I am freaking out! So seriously someone was in your garage. I would not be able to sleep. Our house had mice and rats in the crawl space and a few in the garage and I still freak out. What are you going to do. I can't stop freaking. Someone was in YOUR GARAGE!!!!! Holly you know what. Yikes. Prayers I'll say lots of them.

Courtney said...

Ahh! That would totally freak me out! Having someone in my garage ehhhh! I don't think I could handle it.

Scott Koenig said...

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to freak out all out. I just really like your garage!

Love,

The dude who stalks your blog and slept in your garage.


(just kidding - this is really Scott and I haven't slept in your garage in months)

Erin said...

Thanks Scott...I really appreciate you letting me know it was you...now I am really scared!

Lisa M said...

Totally scary!! Thank goodness for Daisy and that you are safe.

Torrie said...

That gives me the chills! I can't believe it. Thank goodness your guard dog was on alet!

Torrie said...

I mean, Alert

Hil said...

Oh my goodness! Not cool. Seriously. Glad you're all okay!