Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What did he say to my son?

I typed this at school but could not post it until I got home.

So I'm in the cafeteria with my one OCS student and I had just visited Jacob at his table. After my student got his lunch I was about to walk out of the cafeteria and I look over at Jacob and he waves for me to come over. He then asks me, "mom what does f**k mean?" I say what did you say and sure enough he repeats it. I immediately ask him who said that to him (although by the two boys sitting close to him I know which one it was) he says the boys name and I am livid. I was in mom mode and I looked at that boy and said, "why did you teach my son that word?" He of course lies and said Jacob said it first and that he did not say it. OK you picked the wrong kid, not only has Jacob never heard that word he has no idea that it even exists. This is the same kid who a few months ago was talking about sex and when he got caught blamed Jacob. The art teacher knew better and knew the kid was lying. Jacob has no idea what sex is. Now I'm not saying that Jacob is an angel and doesn't make bad choices sometimes but he certainly has never heard the F word (until now of course) and was not talking about sex. So after getting extremely upset I told the lunch monitor that I needed to get out of mom mode and into teacher mode. So I was about to go and get their teacher and the lunch monitor said that she would take him to the office. I talked to the kid about how that was an inappropriate word to be said especially at school and how he was to never say it again, ya like that is going to happen. I then went and talked to Jacob's teacher, I am so glad that I am friends with her, she is such an amazing teacher. So now he is sitting in OCS with me. Jacob just kept asking me what it means and I wish at the time I would not have over reacted so much but I told him that we would talk about it later. When I talk to him about it after school I will make sure he understands that we don't use language like that but I need to do it in a way that is not too big of a deal I don't want him to be any more curious. I knew the day would come when he would come home asking what things were but I was hoping it would wait until maybe 3rd grade.

The other day Jacob saw an advertisement on TV for a movie. He said to me that the movie had a love scene. I questioned him about it and asked him was it a love scene because the boy and girl were kissing. He said no they fall in love in the movie. So to him a love scene is when two people in a movie fall in love. I thought that was kind of funny. Jacob has always used "big" words and not always known what they mean. It is so funny sometimes to hear him say them Kevin and I just look at each other and laugh. He also uses little phrases that he hears on TV that make me laugh too.

Another funny: today on the way home he is telling me all about the Jump Rope For Heart program the school is doing. I asked him why they are doing it and he says, "to help people with heart burn." I didn't correct him and tell him it was for people with serious heart problems.

3 comments:

Torrie said...

Oh, don't you wish you could keep them sweet and innocent forever? It's a good thing you were there to nip that naughty word saying in the bud. It's a shame that kids talk that way, especially at that age. At least we can create a wholesome environment at home for them to learn in, even if the world tries to undo everything good that we've taught our kids.

Wise Family said...

I am always wondering what new and inappropriate word Abby will come home with. The other day she asked us at dinner what sex was. I, of course just started stuttering and completely at a loss for words, but my quick thinking husband just told her it means if you are a boy or a girl. The other meaning can be saved for another day.

Courtney said...

It make me so nervous for all the things they are going to see and heard in high school! It makes me want to home school, just for a few minutes.